"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Never, Never, Never Quit.

FIGHT....................FINISH

Countdown to B2B

I CAN

Monday, August 18, 2008

Here comes Fay!!

Just when I thought it couldn't rain any more, here comes TS Fay. I have ridden more miles in the rain the last 3 weeks than I have the last 10 years combined. It seems it doesn't matter when I ride, I seem to get rained on lately. Yet, if I head out the door on a longer run hopefully for the rain and clouds to cool me off, the sun soon comes out.

Last week was a maintenance week. Beth was back to school and the kids weren't yet back so my training time was very limited. I was able to get in 6 workouts but no swims. I went to swim 3 times and each time thunder/lightning closed the pool. I was able to get in 3000 yards yesterday. Saturday, I went for an 80 mile ride and felt worn out from the beginning. No matter how hard I tried to push it, my speed just wouldn't pick up much. By the end, I was dead and my legs were totally depleted. Of course, the last 2 hours were in a steady rain, so when I got home I spent some time rinsing and washing off my bike and oiling it. It was at this point I realized my back tire was rubbing on my brake pad. Not terribly bad but enough to stop it after several revolutions. No wonder my ride was so tough.

With TS Fay arriving tonight and probably lasting through Wednesday, and with me leaving Thursday to go to my nephews graduation from Marine boot camp in South Carolina, I'm sure it's going to end up being a big run week. I'm going to try and get in a ride tonight before the wind/rain gets too bad. Then I'll try to get in another Thursday morning. I've also found a YMCA in South Carolina I should be able to get a swim or 2 in at when I'm up there.

Next week will be a big week, coming off 2 sort of down weeks, with lots of double days and long distance affairs. Just under 11 weeks to go!!

No comments: