"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Never, Never, Never Quit.

FIGHT....................FINISH

Countdown to B2B

I CAN

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

August goes and September arrives

August is in the books!! Totals for the month: 22800 yards swimming, 696 miles biking and 92 miles running. Running and swimming sessions a little low but made up for it with some longer quality workouts. Only took 2 days off during the month and 1 of those was August 1st. Haven't had a day off since August 13th.

Highlights for the month include 4 3000+ yard swims, a 75, 2 80 and a 90 mile bike and a 15 mile run. Total time for the month was 63:30+

The last 4 days have seen my longest workouts for each of the 3 disciplines since I started ironman training. Saturday I did a 90 mile bike ride followed by an easy 2000 yard swim on Sunday. Monday(Labor Day) I did a 16 mile run and then a 3500 yard swim yesterday.

Lately, I have been recovering well from the workouts and acclimating a bit to the heat. Cloud cover has helped with some of the long runs and rides It seems the heat is my biggest limiter right now, which hopefully means with cooler weather in late October and race day, it will feel a little easier.

We're under 60 days until race now and 'black September' looks to be quite daunting. With baseball games just about every Saturday and Sunday this month and days getting shorter, it's going to be a challenge pushing the distances even further. But, I intend on getting in several 4000+ yard swims, a 100 and 112 ride ride and 2 18 mile runs.

As we get closer, I'm starting to focus more on details such as nutrition, which so far I've managed pretty well, and timing of the segment. I have some good ideas of what I'm looking at time wise for each segment and hopefully I'll get a better idea as I get through September. Part of this is difficult as I said earlier the heat is my biggest limiter right now and that's something I don't anticipate(knock on wood) for the actual event.

No comments: