"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Never, Never, Never Quit.

FIGHT....................FINISH

Countdown to B2B

I CAN

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Long run

Got in a 16 mile run yesterday. Wanted to go 18 but cut it short when the dew point spiked to 82 degrees!!! The run started out good, 67 degrees and nice. But it heated up quick and the dew point went up with it. When I finished the temp and dew point were both 82 and just miserable. Also, the route I ran was a somewhat hilly one that many people throughout the area use for training for hilly races, especially the Boston marathon. While it's not hilly for those in hilly areas, it's one of the only hilly routes around the Tampa area, due it to running along and near 3 rivers.

Since I'm not used to running hills, they proved challenging and then when my exercise induced asthma kicked up with the spike in humidity, I decided to cut it short.

I still want to get another longer run in(16-18) in the next week in a half as well as a 100 mile ride this weekend. Might get in a 4000 yard swim tomorrow too. The plan is to begin my taper on Monday the 13th. As much as I'm looking forward to this taper, I know it's going to be tough to hold back training after many, many months of hard, long workouts. But I need to get to the 1st as rested as I can. After pushing too late into my training for the Steelhead 1/2 iron race last August, I've learned it's better to be a little under trained than over trained.

No comments: